Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Driving Bananas


Today I took on the task of deleting the majority of my close to 1,000 messages in my email inbox. YUCK! This is not a housekeeping task that is normally on my radar (obviously, kind of like dusting). Finally when I had to locate one particular message with VITALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION and had no clue where to find it within the 997 messages, I knew the time had come.

I didn't enjoy it. At one point when I had just checked a whole bunch of messages and then pushed my delete button, my computer froze and gave up on me. I was sitting at our kitchen island while Grace was behind me at the kitchen table drawing with markers when this occurred. I closed down the Internet knowing I would have to go through all of those messages again, growled loudly, and said, "This is absolutely DRIVING ME BANANAS!!!!!"

Grace, without hesitating, calmly said, "Mommy, this is driving me bananas too!"

I looked at her and said, "Is your picture driving you bananas, Grace?"

"Yes, Mommy. (dramatic pause) What means DRIVING BANANAS?"

Abby and I then both broke out into uncontrollable giggles as I tried to explain the odd phrase (really is odd, think about it).

And yes, I did get it done. Maybe I'll dust tomorrow.

3 comments:

Mama Gail said...

I love that picture of Grace water painting. I seem to remember a Richard Scarry book we had when Erika was little that had a character named Bananas Gorilla. He was a gorilla who drove around in a car that looked like a big yellow banana on wheels.

Grandma Vonnie said...

I just cleaned out my email in box this week...>600 messages deleted. I agree--it is an icky task. I'm not sure if computers make our lives easier or more difficult. At work yesterday my computer froze up and I lost about an hour's worth of work on an article I MUST get done this week. Not only that, but I couldn't get the computer to work again--information technology has a 2-day backlog of computers to fix. My well-planned afternoon was kaput. So, I went to see my grandchildren! :-) Preschoolers have a delightful way of putting our adult angst into perfect perspective!

Annalisa said...

I love the picture--she looks so deliberate and lost in thought.