Thursday, May 1, 2008

WHY I HATE P.E...

I'm attending my second physical therapy appointment tomorrow, because I've had tingly pinkie and ring fingers on both hands up to my elbows and loss of sensation. The culprit has been identified as, to put it non-medically, my neck being all out of whack. Apparently my neck muscles are so terribly tight that my cervical spine is leaning it the WRONG direction.

The physical therapist is wonderful, and she asked as she was exclaiming over my way too tight muscles, "So, do you have some significant stress in your life right now?"

No, I really don't. But I did have P.E. in high school. She asked about injuries, yes, even back to high school, and was particularly interested in the incident that involved teenage boys AND girls being told to go out on the soccer field and play soccer for P.E. I happened to be a not quite extremely athletic type who found myself standing right where a large and hyperactive boy was running extremely fast for no apparent reason (he didn't even have the ball), and right about the moment I thought he was going way too fast to change his course, he hit me head on and I fell right down on my back really hard. He didn't help me up.

After that little bit of exercise, I could not move my neck for several days. I had to get some kind of medicine that I remember made me feel better and was told my neck had terrible muscle spasms.

My nice physical therapist wonders if this is related in some way to my current condition. Probably, P.E. and stress have pretty much the same effect on me, I think.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

there must be something about PE and teenage boys because a very similar thing happened to me, except it's my knee that's messed up!

anyway, I hope you feel better! :)

Mama Gail said...

Ah, yes, I remember it well. The poor attendance lady in the school office, who had nothing to do with the fact that you had to play co-ed soccer in P.E., got quite an earful from me when she called the next day to ask why you hadn't shown up for school. By the way, just a reminder: DROP YOUR SHOULDERS!
Your loving & nagging mom