Friday, July 8, 2011

The Back Story, Installment 3

A long time coming, I know.
This has been more difficult than I thought; I had to take a break. Trying again...

We arrived in Dallas and moved in with Brian and Melanie, unsure of any plan beyond. We were loved and nurtured while we frantically tried to formulate...

The next thing.

Greg asked to volunteer in the Arts ministry of Chase Oaks Church in Plano, because he needed to. Instead, they offered him a part-time position within the Arts. This was very part-time, so it didn't qualify as official family income, but it was a start and a place Greg needed to be. Our whole family needed this church and we loved being there (Grace too, once she got used to the size).

Greg put out feelers with everybody we knew... anything that paid? No real leads... Lots of conversations eventually lead to Greg and Brian partnering to start a coffee roasting business - Greg had already been hobby-roasting for years in our garage in Kansas, the coffee was excellent, there were amazing opportunities for a humanitarian focus...

Starting a new business is tricky (the sense of time and income-producing variables gets skewed in the vision stage), and although the business was slowly growing, reality began to sink in. Shortly after moving into our own home and beginning minor renovations (necessary in an angrily-lived in foreclosed-upon home), Greg and I realized I would need to find employment.

Um, marketable skills? Let's see... stay-home mom and then home-schooling mom for a total of 13 years. I think I gained lots of important skills during that time. How do I put those on a resume? Where do I send a resume?

No idea...

No comments: