Thursday, June 26, 2008

High Hopes

Well, I had high hopes of writing a profound blog post this evening... BUT I ended up writing a long email to a friend instead. And you know, that was exactly what I needed to do, so I don't actually feel guilty about it. I will, however, try to share something on the more profound side of things here soon, I hope.

The most pressing thing I need to share at the moment is that my calves are absolutely killing me. In light of my poor husband's recent awful back pain that came upon him for no apparent reason, my terrible calf pain is the direct result of my own stupidity. AND the result of a HORRIBLE MACHINE called the "elliptical".

I'm used to: easy to moderate outdoor jogs of about 2 miles. I paid for this clever "workout while you wait" option while Grace took her very first round of swimming lessons over the past two weeks that was really a very good deal. The idea is to watch them swim through the big window while you're using the exercise equipment, and I am all about killing two or more birds with one time slot (actually I was ALSO learning wonderful decorating techniques while I watched HGTV and Grace, of course).

I thought to myself, "Why don't you change up your routine a little, Kelly? You always get to run outside; you could get a little cross training in, instead of just running on the treadmill." So because I am so brilliant, I acted upon my good idea and used the elliptical machine for about the same amount of time I usually run.

Now, I cannot even shave my legs without wincing. I'm never doing that again.

2 comments:

Grandma Vonnie said...

Kelly, "never" is a long, long time! I sympathize with your sore leg muscles...but don't say you'll never use the elliptical machine again...maybe next time you can e-a-s-e into your work-out. A key benefit of the elliptical trainer is that it is low-impact (easy on joints) while it yields a similar intensity to running.

Mama Gail said...

I hear you, Vonnie. The eliptical is a lot easier on my over-50 knees & arthritic feet than a treadmill, but I expect my daughter did it faster, longer & with more intensity than I ever do