Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Turning in

I'm sitting here in our reading room with a cup of hot tea (the ingredients read "organic peppermint leaves from Oregon" which I find comforting) and filtering through my day in my head.

It was one of those mostly uneventful, but busy, run of the mill days. I don't much care for that type - not because I long for some kind of important event or crisis, heavens no. I am quite drawn to peace and calm in general.

It's more possibly due to feeling bored and worse yet, boring. I long to be full of creative ideas and brimming over with effectiveness in my job and family, and I'm noticing I really demand this daily. This admirable drive meets reality more often than I would like, and I am left once again to grapple with the problem of "How to make effective creativity happen."

My reaction to this kind of day is also possibly based upon my inability to see the extraordinary in the mundane. Although I learned of a parent who is discouraged at her older child's lack of progress on his "s" production today (his lisp was identified late after years of lisping practice, and we work on it over and over every week), today I also heard one of my students make his first ever beautiful "r." And then he repeated it nine times.

It all runs together into a mushy humdrum of busyness, and instead I want to take a moment to celebrate or think of a creative solution or glean someone's wisdom...

Or notice the amazing night sky with a wide strip of subtly beautiful rippled sand clouds blanketed across it and a crescent moon shining boldly within it. I did notice that one. On my walk with Greg tonight.

That makes me feel better.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: