Friday, January 16, 2009

True Story

What you are about to read is absolutely true:

I made a new friend the other night. I dropped the girls off at youth group and kidzone and hung out for a little while at church. I met this sweet lady who runs the kidzone stuff full-time, and we absolutely hit it off. Her candor and outgoing personality were a breath of fresh air. Anyway, she went to A&M and met her hubby there and has a 7th grade daughter...

I found out she's 36 and said, "O, well I'm 34." She invited us to her life group, and the whole conversation was great.

Greg and Brian are still in Florida, so I laid in bed by myself that night almost asleep while all of those random elements of the day meld together in swirling thoughts. Suddenly I thought, "I don't think I'm 34. Sheesh, how old am I?" I tried doing math in my semi-conscious state and figured out that I'm actually 35.

So the next morning, I emailed my new friend about the whole funny thing. She chuckled and emailed back. Later that day while I told Greg all about it on the phone, he quietly said, "Um, Kelly?"

"Yeah?"
"You are actually 36, and I just turned 37."
"NO WAY! I counted, Honey; I know I'm 35."
"Well, no, you're actually 36."

Can you believe it? He was right! So, I emailed my new friend again thinking she should have fair warning before really inviting us to her life group.

She loved it actually and told me to give her my birthday, including the year, so she could keep track of my age for me. Then she made a comment about how she wouldn't make any comments at all about my education at U.T. compared with hers at A&M.

Wasn't that nice?

3 comments:

Mama Gail said...

I read your first paragraph thinking, "What a minute, I was there when she was born and I'm pretty sure that was 36 years ago. I had a baby 34 years ago, but that wasn't Kelly, that was Paul, wasn't it?" This is a little scarey, Kelly!

Erika said...

That's HILARIOUS!! You're too much, Sister! : )

SarahDee said...

I laughed out loud at this one, Kelly. Too funny!
I love it when you meet someone for the first time but know immediately that you just really like them. (reminds me of meeting YOU!)
Friends are one of the best blessings in life for sure.