Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day Off

Sitting on the porch in the shade,
I am sheltered from the harsh realities of the summer sun.
The morning breeze is almost cool- adding to the deception
That I eagerly embrace.

Softly tinkling chimes from a neighbor's porch join
The mild summer song of contented birds, no longer mate-hunting-
For now.

I am surrounded by flowers in pots that I should water.
A pair of scissors sits next to me, waiting to cut dead blossoms,
And just beyond them my daughter's vulnerable bike asks to be taken to the garage (something about rust and protection).

An overripe, warm mango rests next to my toes on the wicker coffee table, harboring secrets of daring escapes from plastic grocery bags, hiding out in a minivan-induced inferno,
And finally surrendering itself to whatever fate awaits...

And my day is full of possibilities.

-Kelly

It's good to write again.

4 comments:

Horn herd mom said...

And it is good to read your writing again! Miss you!

Kristen said...

sounds like the start of a great day! :) miss you, too!

Mom G said...

Sounds like I'm not the only one glad you had time to write again!

Rick said...

Sehr gut, meine Tochter!