Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Onion Truck

Well, here we are... on vacation in San Antonio. So much has happened, I don't know where to begin.

O.K., I'll start with the exciting moment during the 11 hour drive here which happened in Texas (I think, or was it Oklahoma?) when we drove by an onion truck. Really, a real truckload of onions, an 18-wheeler truckload of stacks upon stacks of onions all covered with tarps. Thinking this was a fairly amazing thing to see, I enthusiastically pointed this out to the rest of the crew in the minivan.

"Wow," said Greg rather unenthusiastically.

"What, Honey, have you ever seen a real live truckload of onions driving right next to you before?"

"Well, no, but I've always figured that's how they get from one place to another."

This, coming from the very same man who moments before had said how he needs to learn to enjoy the experience of the journey more and not just obsess over the destination. Obviously he is not quite ready to work on that.

On to Fiesta Texas... A fabulous time was had by all. I feel at least 15 years younger, because I went on the scariest rides I have ever ridden at an amusement park. Threw caution to the wind is what I did, because I seem to have made a daredevil of a first-born somehow. By default, being the only one who doesn't actually become physically ill from such rides, I was the appointed terrifying rides companion for Abby.

The truth is: I loved it! For the first time ever, I really enjoyed scary rides. I went on my very first loop-the-loop roller coaster. BUT, Abby and I BOTH HATED THE RATTLER (what used to be the world's largest wooden roller coaster, or something like that, it had to be tamed down a bit because of lawsuits over whiplash and the like). Poor Abby had a terrible headache the rest of the day after that one, and her neck muscles are still tight. And, Greg did ride on a ride he actually enjoyed... The Ferris Wheel!

On to THE SURGERY... Greg did great! Abby and Emma and I watched the whole thing on a big screen. It was an odd combination of make-you-queasy-creepy and absolutely amazing all at once. We had some concerns after the pre-op appointment, because as it turns out, Greg is not so far from Bartimaus after all. His eyes were so bad, he almost wasn't a candidate. We are so thankful to have had this particular doctor, and the surgery seems to have been a great success, but he's still in process. His eyes were too swollen today at his post-op, so we're going in for another check tomorrow.

Tomorrow, Greg is taking me out to a fancy outdoor shopping experience called The Shops at La Cantera for a birthday date (early, it's not actually til the twelfth). He and his parents went in on gift cards for me to any of the shops there. I am SO excited to 1) go shopping with money, 2) have a date with Greg, 3) Go out to eat for lunch somewhere yummy, and 4) go shopping with money. I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

voranclan said...

Sounds like you are all having such a great time!! Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation! We miss you!

Katie said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Enjoy the rest of your vacation. :)