Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

Good Friday...
It is a conundrum for me every year. I cannot call it "good" without cringing.

I say "Good Friday" while images from this day burn in my mind and break my heart. I cannot call it "Good" without seeing Christ's agony as He pleads with His Father knowing what is to come and asking if there is another way. I imagine the face of MY Savior set resolutely toward Jerusalem, having glimpsed the agony in His heart that is yet at peace in the will of His Father. The innocent Lamb of God led to slaughter willingly, so MY guilt is erased. And ME in the midst of my guilt turning toward the face of my Crucified and Risen Savior, receiving the scarred Hand that pulls me into His reward.

It is good, so good I have to weep.

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul,
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing.
To God and to the Lamb I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb, who is the great "I Am,"
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing!

And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on, I'll sing on,
And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on;
And when from death I'm free, I'll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity I'll sing on, I'll sing on,
And through eternity I'll sing on!

2 comments:

Mama Gail said...

Hi Kelly,

It's weird to be working on Good Friday. A caller wished me a "Happy Good Friday" earlier.

Your post was a welcome reflection of my thoughts about the day. I hate having to miss the service this evening.

I always remember on Good Friday this line from the ancient hymn, "Stricken, Smitten and Aflicted:"

"You who think of sin but lightly,
Nor suppose the evil great,
Here may view it's nature rightly,
Here its cost may estimate."

Love you,
Mom

Beverly said...

Hi Kelly,
I just finished up a long-winded post on Good Friday and decided to check in to see what you're doing. Wow. I'm going to go back for a more careful reading of what you have said. I love the hymn What Wondrous Love.