Wednesday, April 29, 2009

5K

I am running in a 5K this weekend. It won't be the Emma Creek Classic with my mom and sister and daughters, but it will be a local run supporting Big Brothers and Big Sisters and I get to run with the ladies in my lifegroup from church.

I'm excited about it. We're all staying in a hotel the night before, because it starts really early in the morning (there's also a half marathon option - maybe next year) and it's in Irving. I've been training for it with the lifegroup ladies - one of us is a wonderful but slightly insane degree in kineseology type who keeps us all working. She really is amazing - these are some of the most challenging but fun workouts I've ever done.

We've even been incorporating speed training; I'm generally opposed to speed training and have never actually tried it, because I'm a "get your perfect pace and then don't ever stop" runner. But I've been doing those fartleks (DID NOT MAKE THIS UP - it's a real thing; go ahead and google) and two minute sprints followed by 5 minute walk/slow jog patterns; AND I'm totally enjoying it.

The only bummer is that the t-shirt is bright pink (bad, bad with orange hair). Can't wait for it!

5 comments:

Annalisa said...

Have fun! I bet you'll rock it, pink shirt notwithstanding.

furnituremaker said...

Well Kelly, I'm proud to see you still running. Fartlek workouts are some of my favorites. As a teenager I always giggled too every time I said it. Aron

Sabrina said...

Mark is running the Lincoln Half Marathon this Sunday. If you ever want to run a marathon he says Lincoln is very well done.

Kelly said...

Yikes! Maybe I'll try a half.

Mama Gail said...

Hope you have a great run! But I don't know about you fartlekking & Greg resting & degassing (see his Mark's Brothers Blog, anyone who wonders what I'm talking about here.)