Thursday, February 3, 2011

Losers like us - A starting point

I've recently connected with a distant cousin (I think she's a little older than me) who was reading up on family blogs. She was drawn to the real stories, wanting to familiarize herself with extended family members...

And feeling kind of like a loser who hasn't done much.
I don't know a whole lot about her except that she's a mom and wife and she works. I was so impressed by her honesty in her very personal email; she felt a connection to me because of my posts about darker times and personal struggles in the last few years.

I felt an immediate tug toward this cousin and shared some quick encouragement based on the little I knew about her.

Again, her honesty impressed me...

"...it is just that I really don't think I need to read more about what I am worth. I know and truly appreciate the fact God made me to be exactly who I am. I know he loves me and I love him. I want something more practical like a 12 step or kick in the butt to get me going on things like this..."

I haven't been able to shake this quote out of my brain. It cuts to the core of my personal struggle, especially last year. I think it is time for me to write it out - the reality of it, although the sting is still so sharp, tears are quick to my eyes.

I've been running far away from the emotions of last year, distancing myself from the weirdness encompassed there - as I am finding myself in a place of some new found equilibrium, margin, bandwidth... I honestly feel as though I was rescued just in time, and I am so thankful, joyful, different...

that I haven't wanted to revisit. The truth is my story is there and some artist friends have recently challenged me to go there and write it, just a little at a time. We'll see how it goes...

my premise is that the 12-step and kick in the butt (and ALL the books I've read about that) leave me in a crumbled heap in my closet when my"opportunities" seem to be taken away and my worth was accidentally super-glued there...

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Kelly, I sure would love to hear your heart, for what it's worth. I have my own valleys, that's for sure. And I've wondered so much about you and those valleys you've mentioned. No losers, just people who are "but dust" yet loved so much!