Wednesday, February 13, 2008

SUPER RANDOM

We seem to have dropped off the planet, but it's not true. We are here and finally starting to feel better! This whole thing turned out a little more flu-like than I usually enjoy.

Some random tidbits I've pondered during the last week or so:

I saw a fierce red and white school bus with the mascot and word "Bullpups" painted across it while driving through Newton the other day. I couldn't see the picture closely enough to identify it, so my sudafed-induced curiosity got the better of me. I spent WAY TOO MUCH time wondering what, in fact, a bullpup might be. Is it the baby version of a bulldog or the infant male offspring of a cow? The baby bull would be a wee bit more intimidating maybe, but niether vision sent tremors down my spine, which made me wonder why not just "Bulls" or "Bulldogs"? Or even just "Big, bad, red school buses," because that definitely gives me the heebie-jeebies.

My sister sent me a card today that said...

I tried a dessert called "Death by Chocolate," but it only made me stronger.

I've sort of made into a shrine in my kitchen. I laugh out loud every time I read it.

We have a new word around here. A few days ago, Grace told me her tummy hurt, and I asked what was wrong. "O," she said with a crinkled up nose, "There's just a bellyfish in there." We have no idea where that came from; it appears to be a genuine Grace Original, and we LOVE IT!

And I am very excited about a brand new Women's Bible Study I am helping to lead at our church. We have a wonderfully mixed age and stage of life group of nearly 40 women involved. Within that group, we are made up of smaller groups of 12 for discussion. I am already so delighted by my group, that I smile whenever I think about them. We are beginning Beth Moore's Study on the Fruit of the Spirit called Living beyond Yourself.

My friend Brandey, during the most recent date night she spent with our daughters, helped the girls decorate paper hearts and put them all together into a giant heart to deliver to a special family in our church. They also made and decorated heart-shaped sugar cookies today, and we drove out to deliver our "HEART ATTACK!" to this family. On the way home, Brandey looked at my minivan clock trying to discern what time it was. She tried and tried, and finally I had to let her in on our secret code,

"Um well, see it's military time.. backwards... and one hour off."

And at the slightly disturbed look she gave me, I wondered why I've gone to the trouble to calculate the time every time I look at that clock, but haven't gone to the trouble to change it... one of life's mysteries.

So much to ponder, really.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Who decided to make vehicle clocks so hard to set, anyway? I also calculate the time with each new daylight savings time change. Right now it is: subtract 1 hour and add 7 minutes.

John Buerger said...

Great post! Very funny. My wife and I have, so far, succeeded in eluding the dreaded bellyfish. I hope we can keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kelly! I can answer one of your questions! I am a proud graduate of McPherson High School, home of the Bullpups (red and white as I recall). McPherson College is home of the Bulldogs (more grown up dogs than bullpups...but both are fierce).
You maybe didn't get in on any of our small group sessions at Faith Bible Church where Steve asked the opening random question, "where did you graduate from high school, and what was your mascot?"
I haven't looked at blogs for quite awhile, but I'm so glad I took the time tonight...brings back memories...
"We are the Bullpups,
mighty, mighty Bullpups,
everywhere we go,
people want to know,
who we are,
so we tell them,
WE ARE THE BULLPUPS!..."

voranclan said...

The clock was a hoot and I laugh thinking about it! I look forward to riding in your van again and seeing if I can actually figure the time out! Fun post!