Sunday, February 24, 2008

And the winner is...

I'm trying to enjoy what I've looked forward to all week: Sunday, the day of spring. In the midst of our wintery weather, today was supposed to be sunny and originally 59 degrees. Then as the week progressed, the hi temp. slowly slid downwards to a predicted 53 degrees. Last night we had an unexpected snow accumulation of a lot (didn't check my sources to get any more detail than that), and beautiful snow is thickly covering everything. But, it doesn't exactly feel like spring. Just as I write, the sun has come out for the first time (about 4:00); maybe we'll get a couple of spring hours... Here's hoping.
I just have a few photos and catching up to do...

I love the day after Valentine's Day; that is when Greg and I have decided to celebrate. Candy and flowers are at least half off, and it's only one day later. Greg came home with THREE DOZEN red roses for me on Feb. 15. They were absolutely gorgeous and put us back a whopping $15. Way to go, Honey!

Abby, Emma, and I finished our first quilt on Friday. It turned out to be beautiful (primarily due to our very talented instructor, Jenny). I can't post pictures of it yet, because this is for our eagerly anticipated new niece/cousin who will be adopted into our family by my sister and brother-in-law, Erika and Darin, any day now. Once we've delivered it, I'll post pictures.

Jenny came on Friday with awards and certificates for each of us in honor of completing our first quilt...


Abby won "Most Organized" with the most perfectly and patiently done stitches. She always sewed with the "turtle" setting on the sewing machine. So Jenny presented Abby with a seam ripper of her very own, a box of pins and a magnetic holder for them, and fabric for her next project with funky turtles all over it. CONGRATULATIONS, ABBY!

Emma won "Most Creative," because she was so inspired, she pulled out her sketch book and started her own quilt designs. Jenny presented Emma with a folder, graph paper, and a seam ripper of her very own. With Emma's love of horses, Jenny gave her some cowgirl fabric for her next project. CONGRATULATIONS, EMMA!

I won "Most Enthusiastic," and Jenny presented me with new needles for my sewing machine and a sewing gauge. She gave me some beautiful blue fabric for my next project to match our blue and chocolate brown bedroom colors. CONGRATULATIONS, ME!

And Miss Jenny also brought some fun purple with green polka dots, butterfly fabric for Grace who promptly fell in love with it and has worn it a little each day as a cape. Here are Grace and Miss Jenny.

And, Jenny, you win "Best Quilting Instructor Ever" by us. CONGRATULATIONS, JENNY!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Sorry to hear about your snow. We did get a nice spring day-didn't even need a coat. The down side is that the back yard is full of mud puddles from the melting snow and the forecast calls for more snow tonight/tomorrow. One thing is certain when Spring comes for real we will definitely appreciate it! I'll look forward to seeing a photo of your quilt ~ Sam

Mama Gail said...

Congratulations ladies! I can't wait to see y'all and that quilt too. You are all so creative. Jenny sounds like a real gem! I remember meeting her a couple years ago in a charming shop where she was working - can't remember the name of it.

Grandma Vonnie said...

Excellent post, Kelly...beautiful snow (I feasted on the beauty as we drove to church Sunday morning)...beautiful women...beautiful quilt (I know, I've seen it!)...beautiful relationships between Kelly, Abby, Emma, Grace & Miss Jenny...beautiful photos...and beautiful roses from your husband, Kelly!

Erika said...

What a wonderful quilting instructor you have!! Congratulations to each of you on your acheivement! And congratulations to me and my soon-to-be daughter for receiving it! I can't wait to finally see it! Love you.