Wednesday, August 29, 2007

49 Years




Yesterday I called my mother-in-law to wish her and my father-in-law a Happy Anniversary. They had just gotten home from their celebration dinner at Outback Steak House.

"So, did y'all exchange gifts?" I asked.

She went on to tell me how Jack (my father-in-law) had lost his wedding ring years ago. It had something to do with separating a lot of beef into smaller portions and perhaps a sink, but after that experience, his ring went missing. And they never found it, not even in one of their packages of beef.

I couldn't believe I hadn't heard this story before, I just knew I hadn't noticed him wearing a wedding band. Well, Sandy went on to tell me that what Jack really wanted for their anniversary was a new wedding band and how they had picked one out and how it was his birthday present too (which was just on the 21st of August).

Misty-eyed, I said, "Sandy, I think I'm going to cry. I love that!"

And I do. I love that in celebration of 49 years of faithful commitment to each other through ups and downs, when most folks wouldn't really bother, Jack wants to make sure the world knows that he is married to this woman. I love that they get to shop for a wedding band.

Congratulations on 49 years together, Jack and Sandy! I love you.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Way to go mom and dad. I am so glad that your sons and your grandchildren have you both to look up to. I love you both.
Greg

Mama Gail said...

I loved that story too! Congratulations Jack & Sandy and a belated Happy Anniversary! We love you guys! Thanks for raising such a great son who is continuing your legacy of love and commitment in his marriage to our daughter! (Brian & Mark are pretty good guys too!)

Jennefer said...

Kelly,

Hello from an old friend ... and bridesmaid, too! Leslie sent me the link to your blog so I've been catching up on your family. Your girls are absolutely beautiful and you don't look like you've changed one single bit since we graduated 13 years ago. OUCH, has it been *that* long?

Lots of parallels in our lives: I have 3 boys, we are homeschooling and my husband is in ministry too! Fun for sure!

I'll check in on you regularly to see how you guys are doing!

Blessings friend,
Jennefer