Sunday, August 26, 2007

Big Day




Big news: Abby and Emma just got their ears pierced today. They've been looking forward to this, but of course, there were some nerves going on in the car on the way to the Wal-Mart jewelry counter.

They each picked out their earrings, took their turn in the chair, and came through like champs. Afterward, we headed to the "cold drink" section of Wal-Mart for celebration beverages (1 Snapple and 2 Sobe bottles).

At check-out we encountered Ryan: a rather alternative-looking, chatty, and friendly fellow. As he scanned our drinks, I explained the occasion; and Ryan thought it was just great:

"You know, that is great to celebrate something like that with your mom. My dad didn't feel that way at all when I came home with my lip pierced. He just told me he was going to get the pliers. So, I took it out and that was over."

"Wow," I said, "sorry to hear that."

"Naw, it's okay. Getting your lip pierced doesn't hurt too bad, but there is a risk. If you don't have it done by the right person, there's a chance the whole bottom half of your face can be paralyzed."

"Thanks, we'll remember that."

Something tells me we won't have to...

Congratulations, Abby and Emma!

6 comments:

Mama Gail said...

Wow, Abby & Emma you are really growing up! Let me be the first to congratulate you - on your mom's blog anyway, and actually after your mom congratulated you on her blog - well, you know what I mean. You are both very brave and you look so sophisticated with your ears pierced. I can't wait to see your new looks in person. I'm sure glad I don't have staph germs floating around my house after all - what with your newly pierced ears and your dad's upcoming eye surgery. I don't think any remnants of my poison ivy affliction will pose the same threat to anybody. We may have to go shopping for earrings when you're in San Antonio!

Annalisa said...

Beautiful! I am still not brave enough, at age twenty-three, to get my ears pierced. ;-)

Mama Ann said...

I am impressed! I didn't get my ears pierced until I was in my 50's. That shows how brave I am.

terry sue said...

I got my ears pierced the day after my daughter had hers done, because she convinced me to and told me it didn't hurt. She lied!!

storm_OWL said...

Aunt Kelly you are great.

storm_OWL said...

Aunt Kelly you are great.