Thursday, July 24, 2008

Robots and Fazoli's

This has been kind of a crazy week so far - fun, but crazy. Abby has been at Lego Robotics Camp at Wichita State University this week. She has to be there every morning by 9:00 and is done at 4:30. A dear friend of ours, who also happens to be an instructor at the university, has taken her and brought her home a few times (a huge blessing considering the commute and the cost of gas).

Abby has really enjoyed this so far. The 6-8th graders work in teams led by engineering students to build and program robots and then compete in challenges. Tomorrow ends with a parent reception.

I took Abby and Emma each out for a "date with Mom" to buy their school supplies and some school clothes, since we're spending all of this extra time in Wichita as it is. This is all a new experience for us as the girls enter school for the first time in August. I took each of them out to dinner as part of our shopping outing to a reasonable place of their choice. Abby picked Famous Dave's and Emma picked Fazoli's. Honestly, being from Texas has made me a bar-be-cue snob, and Famous Dave's was terribly unimpressive (esp. for the price), but I think Abby really liked her meal - and we had a great time. Now Fazoli's just makes me really happy. All those fabulous bread sticks, amazing prices, decent atmosphere - and we had a great time.

O, and while we were shopping, we had to pick up some rain boots for Grace. She has wanted some for as long as she can remember. They were half price at Target, pink, and have kitty faces on the feet. She is super excited, and put them on right away in the living room. Then, she sat on the couch to wait for rain (not a cloud in the sky and 100 degrees). I checked the weather; there might be a storm tomorrow; Grace can hardly sleep due to anticipation.


Just a quick life update, more to come later...

3 comments:

Erika said...

I checked out the My Dhoom 2 Dance video you told me about! It was priceless!

Alyssa said...

Lego robotics is so much fun! In 5th and 6th grade I did something like that and it was great!

Famous Daves. YOU DON"T LIKE FAMOUS DAVES???

I'm hurt.

:) I hope it rains.

Grandma Vonnie said...

Follow this link to read a story about the Lego robotics camp and see a picture of Abby at camp! http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/wsunews/news/?nid=313