Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankful




So, I am missing my hubby terribly. Since he hasn't ever had one of those travelling all the time jobs, I'm really bad at being away from him for more than a few days. We are having a good time here, but here's what happens...

We went with my mom a few days ago to the San Antonio Art Museum. It was wonderful, fascinating, and who else should have been there?... um, my artist husband who helps me appreciate those things all the more.

Yesterday, we visited the truly amazing San Antonio Missions. They are so beautiful and very well preserved. I had to keep reminding myself of how old they really are and that these are the real deal not replicas. The scale of some of them, keeping in mind their age, is mind-boggling. Abby was wowed too. She commented on their castle-like quality and how movies should be made there and how elements of them reminded her of scenes out of Lord of the Rings. (So sorry I left my camera in Dallas, I hope. Have we found it yet, Honey?)

We visited Mission Concepcion, Mission San Jose', and Mission San Juan. I was especially struck by the beautiful architectural detail like layers of high stone walls with gorgeous windows cut into them and each wall in front of a wall in front of another wall having a different window shape. There were perfect widely arched windows layered in front of skinny, pointed arched windows with blue bits of sky entering the layers where windows overlapped. The whole time I thought, "Greg needs to be here with his camera taking pictures for drawings, paintings, and just awesome black and white photos to mat and frame." I found myself trying to look through his eyes and enjoy the art all around me.

Today Greg is baking bread at his brother's house. I LOVE IT when Greg bakes bread. So I'm imagining the delicious, comforting smell.

Yeah, so I like the guy an awful lot. And I'm thankful for who I am because of his influence in my life. Truth is he needs me. He's been arriving to every meeting or appointment he's had over the last week like 30 minutes early. That NEVER happens when I'm around.

Pictures courtesy of my Dad and his camera who went to the park with us today. Thanks, Dad.


4 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks honey. I miss you too. The bread I made today was awesome. I used the spent grain from the beer Brian and I brewed on Sunday. It came out real tasty - the bread that is. We won't know about the beer for another few weeks. I'll make more bread when you get back into town. I'll see you soon.

Sabrina said...

Shorts? Oh my, I guess I forget sometimes just how warm fall is in San Antonio. Our shorts are put away til spring. :0) Looks like there is a lot of fun in San Antonio.

Becky said...

Kelly!
So you maybe don't know that I keep up with your blog a little bit, so this might be out of the blue. But guess what?

I'm Engaged!!
I'm so excited, and I thought I would let you know. He's an incredible, Godly guy (like you always told us to find). And he's handsome, too...i can't argue with that!

I hope Greg gets back to see you soon!

Becky said...

P.S. this is Becky Lancaster...in case that wasn't terribly clear...