Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Slice of Pie

Sometimes, what I really need more than a slice of life, is a slice of pie. I'm figuring that you occasionally have those days too.

We had company over the other night and made this pie for dessert. I love this pie; Greg loves this pie, so I'll share the recipe. Now for a recipe to qualify as a genuine favorite of mine, two qualifications must be met:


1) Must be ridiculously easy to the point that sharing the recipe is almost embarrassing

2) Must be impressively delicious to the point that everyone thinks I slaved

This particular recipe qualifies on both points, so even though I'm blushing, I'll share.

I first had this pie at Greg's parents' for Thanksgiving and fell in love with it. My mother-in-law's Aunt Roma gets full credit for this one. If you love coconut and enjoy chess pie (as all good Texans should), this is a bit of heaven.


TOASTED COCONUT PIE


3 beaten eggs

1 1/4 C sugar

1/2 C melted butter

4 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla

1 (3 1/2 oz) can flaked coconut

1 unbaked 9" pastry shell


Combine eggs, sugar, butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir in coconut. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
And there you have it. Finally, a rationale for the otherwise dumb cliche'...
EASY AS PIE!


2 comments:

Horn herd mom said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it. I've been running low on dessert recipes.

Annalisa said...

This sounds delicious. I'll let you know if I try it out--I've been baking up a storm since getting married, and I'm always on the prowl for new things to try out.