Saturday, July 7, 2007

The League Meet




This was not a creativity-enhancing sort of day. I suppose it could've been for some people who are not me. This morning started with a 6:00 am alarm reminding me to wake the girls for their last swim meet of the season. This was the VERY IMPORTANT league meet. Only those with qualifying times get to swim, and every team in the league is represented.
*
See, we got into this swim team thing, because Greg and I want our girls to be able to swim well. Greg and I can't swim well; it's a good thing to know. Swimming is great exercise, and they enjoy it. I also get WAY MORE for my dollar with swim team than swimming lessons (gotta be practical). But, this is small town swim team. The other teams you compete against are far, far away in other small towns; we hadn't fully thought that one through...


The girls rode the bus to be there early enough to warm-up. Greg, Gracie, and I drove the 1 1/2 hours to Coucil Grove where the meet was held, trying VERY HARD not to think about the price of gasoline. We were there to watch Abby swim in three races. Each race turned out to be 2 1/2 hours apart. We forgot to pack a lunch (being ignorant of the large quantity of time that defines "The League Meet"). As an exercise in discipline, I will list all of the POSITIVE aspects of today:



  • driving through the beautiful, scenic flinthills to get there


  • big trees, under which shade was found to sit in


  • snacks; we did have some


  • sunscreen


  • comfy camping chairs with drink holders


  • a large playground nearby where Grace could channel her energy


  • friends to visit with at the meet


  • a particularly friendly bumblebee who thought my head was something to pollinate and found me wherever I went; onlookers were amused


  • watching Abby swim


  • driving through the beautiful, scenic flinthills to get home


  • large, juicy hamburgers that we made for lunch as soon as we got home (4:00)


  • a lunch late enough to double as dinner


  • the opportunity to fry burgers meant to be grilled, once the grill ran out of gas


  • finding a brand new Mary Engelbreit Home Companion magazine in my mailbox this evening


  • company over for dessert and great conversation + a fun game tonight


  • my REALLY COMFORTABLE bed!


These pictures are from the swim meet one week ago; both Emma and Abby swam in that one.



3 comments:

Grandma Vonnie said...

Thank-you, Kelly, for the list of blessings you discovered tucked within an “ordinary” day. You powerfully reminded me that there really is no such thing as an “ordinary” day. As a creature of habit, I often find myself approaching life from the same direction, familiar with the rhythm of my life, seeing the same characteristics in my day. In any day—good or bad, exciting or mundane—there is something more to notice…those special blessings tucked into routine circumstances. Blindness to daily blessings is a form of spiritual blindness. Father, open my eyes to see your blessings!

Mama Gail said...

How I love getting to see these pictures of my granddaughters and experiencing a day in the life of your family, Kelly. Of course I have always loved your writing and I think this blog is a fabulous idea. I love your heart to look for and find the blessings in a day like you had yesterday.

I can't help but add one blessing that I know you never take for granted. Reading your post in light of a recent conversation I had at work was rather poignant. You've heard me mention a young woman about your age who also has 3 childen. I've often said how certain things about her remind me of you. At lunch one day this week, she said, "You know my kids wanted to do swim team again this year and I wish they could, but the practices all start before I get off work, so there was just no way." At this time last year, she was a stay-at-home mom. Since then her husband left her and the kids, so she is now a working single mom.

Thank you, Lord, for Greg!! And for Rick and Darin and all the faithful, hardworking husbands and fathers in our lives!!

Kelly said...

AMEN to that, Mom! Thanks. :)