Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Wit of Grace?




Our little Grace is one hard-to-figure, creative 3-year-old. We are just never quite prepared for what may come forth from her lips at any given time and in her only volume - loud.


So, last night on our family outing to Wichita, we happened to stop by Target. While there Gracie picked out some new big girl panties along the theme of Disney princesses. She was R E A L L Y excited about having princess panties, but since she's never actually seen any of those movies, she doesn't know the names of these beautiful characters. Abby took the time to help her identify who they were, so she could tell Daddy when we met up with him. For some strange reason he suddenly disappeared right as we headed into the big girl panty section, completely uninvolved in the very important discussion of which ones to choose (Curious George, Hello Kitty, Dora, you get the idea - HARD decisions...)


A few moments later while still a good way off, but close enough to identify, Grace ran toward Greg exclaiming, "Daddy, I have princess panties! And it's Cinderella and Snow White, and BOOTY!" She really emphasized this last name as a clincher to the whole bit of fascinating news. That would now be our new nickname for Sleeping Beauty after we all had uncontrollable giggles for awhile in the aisle at Target.


This morning, Grace prayed before eating her Honey Bunches of Oats. I love her sweet prayers, usually so simple and real. Well, this morning she decided to be a little overly-spiritual and attempt to incorporate some things perhaps she picked up on from listening to other people pray. I immediately wrote it down...

Dear God, Help us get better and get more. Help us to be bored with You and get lost. Amen

What that was all about, I have NO idea, but I think that's similar to the way I sound when I'm working a little too hard at impressing people with my spirituality instead of being authentic.

And tonight while playing tennis as a family, Grace was mostly being a grumpy onlooker. She had her own raquet and ball but decided whining would be much more fun. Finally, under threat of losing her freshly-baked brownie once we got home, she became a little cheerier. Greg shot a winner right past me while I moaned, and Grace yelled,

"It's okay, Mommy! You always get it in the house -- HOORAY!"

Not sure, but she sounds like a genuine fan to me.


4 comments:

Annalisa said...

Okay, I completely cracked up over each of those stories. Thank you--and Grace!--for brightening up a morning in which I had to awaken while it was still dark.

Mama Gail said...

And in case anyone thought the name of your blog was simply inspired by spiritual commentary!

Ah, yes, our little Gracie -"random" is the best description for her unique charm.

I think God helped me to be bored at work yesterday. Thanks for your prayers, Gracie.

Mama Ann said...

I loved each of these stories but the prayer has me really puzzled. I am going to write it down and then try to figure out just what kind of prayers she has been listening to and by whom. :o)

Erika said...

Grace cracks me up! Thanks for sharing. She can brighten the worst day!