Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Out-of-body experience


I am organizing. Well, I'm attempting to organize. There is an awful lot of that I need to do before we start school for the year. Whenever I try to organize anything, it's the closest I can imagine coming to having an out-of-body experience. It's like I have to become somebody else and try to think within their organized brain. The whole process is really time-consuming and draining for me.


The bummer is that I can't stand clutter and chaos; I can't function within that environment. My shoulders creep up to my earlobes, and I become terribly irritable. As far as I'm concerned this indicates some kind of genetic defect. If chaotic surroundings affect me so much, I should have the natural talent of knowing how to organize effectively.


I know people like this. Such people do exist, and I have actually called such a person before to help me organize. The following account is true, I promise:


I tried to organize my "craft cupboard" several years ago. I opened the cupboard and looked at it. I thought about that cupboard. I looked at it some more and thought some more. The craft cupboard defeated me; I was paralyzed. I called my friend who is one of those people. No kidding, I described my craft cupboard over the phone to her, and she immediately began telling me what to do. This person took me through what to do step-by-step until my craft-cupboard was conquered.


I am trying to "be that person," and so far I have mostly conquered the desk in the study. The problem is, this is a terribly draining experience, and all of my energy, including any creative juices, are being channeled into this out-of-body experience.


So, this is the end of my post.

1 comment:

Mama Gail said...

It is duly noted that you have never called your mother for advice about organizing anything, but if there's a genetic defect it surely must have come from your father!