Monday, July 2, 2007

Will Run For Smoothie

I like to jog. Weird, I know. In high school, running was nothing more than a necessary evil to stay on the tennis team. Since moving to Kansas a couple of years ago, however, I have taken up jogging as a hobby that I actually enjoy. Of course, Kansas is tremendously FLAT making this a fairly feasible undertaking.

The funny thing about my enjoyment of jogging is that I'm not actually good at it. I'm r e a l l y slow. But...
I love it anyway. I love being outside; I even have gear to run in any winter weather except slippery snow. I don't even mind sweating. I love Greg's ipod, which I get to borrow when I run. I'm not into competitive running; I like contemplative running. I really like going for longer runs; my longest so far is 6 1/2 miles and that was my favorite run - really!

Greg and I went for a run today; we're both trying to get back into jogging condition after having had quite a break for awhile. It was a really terrible run. All I wanted to do the whole time was WALK. Everything felt tired. But I didn't walk, because...
Greg ran with me.
.
I noticed a big difference, however, between the times when Greg was ahead of me and when he was right next to me. I thought about how I began this jogging enjoyment in the first place. It really started when a dear friend, Brandey, ran with me on my first 5 mile run. Five miles is a huge milestone, and Brandey knew I would need some serious encouragement. She said she would run with me and then we would go to Lincoln Perk, our local coffee shop, for a major reward if I did the whole thing without walking (I think that part was my idea).
.
Let me tell you something about Brandey, SHE HAS RUN A MARATHON! She is a real runner. She places at 5k's. She's good, and she runs fast.
.
Brandey ran that five miles right next to me the whole time. She talked to me, so I didn't even remember that I was running 2 miles farther that I ever had before. I did it, and I loved it. But there is no way I could have done that for the first time by myself or with somebody right in front of me. If I was behind her the whole time, I would have walked because of course I'm going to be behind her. She's good; I'm not. But I never thought about that; I never had to; I had a great time.
.
Christ has done this for me. He is the Perfect Marathon Runner. I am slow. He chose to take on humanity at the will of His Father to run with me. When I want to walk He reminds me that I do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with my weaknesses, but I have one who has been tempted in every way, just as I am - yet was without sin. He knows how to finish this race; I cannot run it without Him.
.
We did get big ol' fruit smoothies afterward, by the way, and shared a piece of cake (got to replenish those carbs)!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Ahh, running buddies; just like Greg always used to talk about in youth group! (You can tell him that, yes, I WAS listening...) As soon as I saw your title and read a bit I knew what your point would be. (Fantastic point, by the way, thanks for the encouragement.) You guys have been married long enough you think alike. ;)