Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Fireworks & Fireflies

These pictures have nothing to do with my post, but I had to share them. Here are Emma and Abby today on their last day of horse camp. They each asked for this opportunity for their birthday present this year. We got to watch them barrel race today -- Yeehaw!! They had a blast. Abby will be 11 in two weeks and Emma is 9.





On to my post..

Our little town Hesston, Kansas is REALLY into the fourth of July. I think it is has something to do with the fact that Kansas legalizes major explosives meant only for combat fighting for the week surrounding the 4th. Honestly, you can pretty much stage your own major fireworks show (the kind shown in the downtown of big cities) right in your own driveway if you have the money. We had truly never seen anything like it until we moved here. There is no need to travel anywhere for a show. The big, bad, finale' type stuff goes off for hours and hours all over town.



Last night I took Rosie, our bad dog whom I love, out to do what dogs do outside. It was on the darker side of dusk, and as soon as I stepped outside my ears were assaulted: KA-BLAM, "Rosie," EEEEEEEEEEEEE-BANG-BANG-BANG (x27), "do your," POP-POP-POP-POP-POP, "job." EEEEEEEEEE-POP-POP-POP-SIZZLE-HISS-SIZZLE.



When I looked around for the source, I was captivated by... FIREFLIES. They were gorgeous, filling my back yard with peaceful, excitement. My eyes darted around to each new glowing light; randomly surprising me with beauty. I never get used to them. I never know when they'll be out, and then they only light up at dusk. I didn't want to go inside, fearing I would miss a part of the show.


I smiled at God's sense of humor. "YOU WIN," I said, "hands down! Best show in the neighborhood."


All creatures of our God and King

Lift up your voice and with us sing,

Alleluia! Alleluia!

Thou burning sun with golden beam,

Thou silver moon with softer gleam,

O praise Him! O praise Him!

Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!


HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!








2 comments:

Horn herd mom said...

Fireflies were a favorite for us last night too. Truly amazing!

Rick said...

I guess your ole Dad is getting too soft — you made me tear up. Love you!