Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Naptime Wars

Naptime is going very badly at our house lately. My sweet Grace who just turned 4 on Sept. 16 has decided to stop sleeping ever, at all, during the day. It doesn't matter what has gone on that day, how worn out she is, or how late she stayed up the night before. She refuses to give in.


Don't get me wrong. We still have naptime every afternoon. It is simply peppered with a squeaky door opening and a loud 4 year-old voice calling, "Is naptime over now?" every 5 minutes. This puts a real damper on my history and literature reading to Abby and Emma (which I save for during Gracie's nap, so we can focus). It puts an even bigger damper on my occasional nap (I never gave them up), and leaves me emotionally challenged.


The child can't actually function very well without her naps. She's grouchy and emotional and loopy - all at once. Her eyelids are heavy, even while she's asking if naptime is over. Last night was the dinner we hosted for our elders and their wives; Grace went to bed very late. The night before was small group; Grace went to be very late. She refused to sleep during naptime yesterday, and this is how I found her at the end of naptime today...


Yes, that's a chair in her bed.

She also rises plenty early saying, "Mommy, I can get up now. See, it's morning now. Look at the sun."

"But Grace, we don't get up with the sun in this family." She doesn't care.

I'm losing ground. This war is not going in my favor.

2 comments:

Katie said...

This post sounds all too familiar. Madeleine stopped taking naps just before she turned 4. Now, she has "quiet time" in my bedroom while Audrey naps. I usually put in a movie for her to watch. It is so important for mommie's to have their quiet time too. :) Good luck!

Horn herd mom said...

Hang tough! It always seems the worst towards the end of the war. You just can't see the end to know that you are almost there.