Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pictures and a Story



Thought I'd share a few favorite vacation and conference pictures. I won't share much else seeing as how it is 12:16 a.m. after closing at Lincoln Perk tonight, and my normally fairly fuzzy brain is feeling exceptionally fuzzier.






And, I do have to share one of the short stories that Sheila Walsh shared at the conference in her beautiful Scottish accent. She talked about how her son is always bringing home wounded animals to take care of until they are healthy enough to make it on their own. He has a very tender heart. One such animal was a tiny sparrow that Sheila ended up having to feed every hour around the clock (even setting her alarm every hour of the night) just to keep it alive. Once it was a little stronger, she and her son drove about an hour to a bird sanctuary where this sparrow could be safe and grow stronger.

Sheila said she walked in to the most amazing and hilarious sight. There standing on the floor behind the desk was a duck with one foot, an owl with a broken beak, and another bird (can't exactly remember the details) with a broken wing. They were stumbling and hopping about together as great friends from long ago might. Sheila commented to the woman at the desk, "Well, I didn't know that owls and ducks got along so well."

"O, they don't," replied the woman, "only broken ones do."

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete be being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. -Philippians 2:1-4

I've got a bit to learn from a broken duck.

2 comments:

Mama Gail said...

Love the story & the pictures. I need a bigger copy of the one that nice man took of the 5 of us at Artisan's Alley - hint, hint. Erika & I got to hear Sheila Walsh speak at a Women of Faith conference years ago. We loved her accent too and I think I could listen to her for hours.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Oh my goodness, I can not believe how grown up Abby and Emma are! Grace looks just like abby when she was little. At first I thought she WAS Abby. :) Your girls are all such a blessing, and I hope I get to see them (and you) soon!
Love,
Natalie